Sunrise in Shenyang

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Red Underwear

Apparently, according to Chinese tradition, if it is your zodiac year, meaning the year with the same zodiac symbol as the year you were born, you must wear something red everyday. Yes, every day of the year, all 365 days. The thought is that one's zodiac year is supposed to be one of ill fortune, and to ward off bad luck, you wear something red. Many people choose the form of red underwear.

So this year, being my zodiac year, my aunt was adamant about taking me out to buy red underwear. Hence we undertook the mission of red underwear shopping the 3rd day after the new year. Red underwear is so popular around the new year, that many of the shops we went to were completely sold out of any red underwear, and all the red underwear was more expensive that the other colors.

And guys, you may be laughing, but this rule applies to guys too. There isn't just red underwear for girls, guys are not exempt. In the end, my aunt and I were successful in our mission, and now I am adequately equipped to ward of any bad luck for the year. I wish all of you a year of luck and fortune, and let me know if you're looking for something red to wear. I'll have it shipped from China to you. :)

No comments: